Our network

20 years later, still no answers for Oxon Hill teen killed over coat | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

20 years later, still no answers for Oxon Hill teen killed over coat

OXON HILL, Md. (WUSA9) -- For 20 years, Charles and Thomasene Marsh have waited for an answer to the most important question in their lives.

It was 20 years ago Monday night that their son Chuckie Marsh was shot and killed outside Oxon Hill High School over an Eddie Bauer coat.

The answer as to who did it remains a mystery.  

Police say Marsh was hit by a stray bullet that was fired as the robber reached for another student.

Marsh was hit in the chest. He died at the hospital. 

"I tried to get to the hospital as soon as I could. Didn't make it. Not to see him," Charles Marsh said. 

The last time Charles Marsh saw his son he was waiting at the bus stop near their house. 

"He waved at me. He said, 'Hey daddy, I'll see you this afternoon' and I can still see him looking back - just like that - waving," Charles Marsh said.

Detectives went through evidence and interviewed everyone at the scene, but they came up empty-handed. 

"Nobody knew anything. Nobody saw anything. So it's just like nobody was there," Thomasene said. 

Police say people were there, close to 100, but for the most part they didn't come forward. After all these years, police are hoping they will 

"Most of the witnesses were young," Seargent Jeremy Bull said. "20 years later they may have children the same age as [the] same age as Chuck,"

"I don't want to hear, maybe the guy who shot your son is dead now or maybe he is locked up," Charles Marsh said. I don't want to hear that. That's not conciliation to me. What am I supposed to -- I lost a son. For no reason."

The police Sergeant who's leading the charge to look for new leads in this case was a friend of Chuckie Marsh. They were in the same grade at Oxon Hill High School. He told WUSA9 this case was a big reason he decided to become an officer. 

Like this story? Like WUSA9 on Facebook