OXON HILL, Md. (WUSA9) -- Fourteen children and 13 adults were displaced Saturday after a utility closet fire in an Oxon Hill apartment building, according to Prince George's County Fire.
The fire occurred at an apartment building located at 5512 Livingston Terrace around 8 a.m. Fire officials say the fire started in a utility closet housing the heat and air conditioning unit on the balcony.
It took about 15 minutes for firefighters to extinguish the fire. Fire officials say the fire caused significant damage to the roof of the building.
All occupants exited the building safely, but fire officials said five of the building's apartments are uninhabitable. A total of 14 children and 13 adults were displaced because of the fire, officials said.
The cause of the fire is listed as accidental and officials say the estimated damage is $250,000.